At the beginning of the nineteenth century Lanner comprised a few scattered cottages, the homes of farmers and tinners. The development of steam technology at local mines, including Tresavean, allowed deep lode mining to take off, and people poured into the area. Gwennap was then the world's greatest copper-mining area and Lanner lay at the heart of one of the most advanced industrial regions in the country.
By 1836 Tresavean Mine was employing around 1300 men, women and children. Around this mighty mine a thriving community developed, with its chapels, church, schools, businesses and subsidiary industries of quarrying and brick and china manufacture. In 1844 Lanner became a parish in its own right.
This book provides a comprehensive study of the history of Lanner from the height of its mining powers through the crash in the 1860s. One by one the local mines closed and many families were forced to migrate overseas.
For the first time the authors have revealed the scale of the personal tragedies which overtook Lanner families in the face of the region's economic decline, and from which Lanner has never recovered. Yet it is also a story of a people proud of its past, a Cornish community in which, even today, the historic bonds of mining and Methodism run as a vital current through their veins.
Imprint: Halsgrove. ISBN 978 1 84114 019 3, digital download, 210x297mm, 292pages. Pdf e-book March 2012.