A growing number of Halsgrove titles are available as e-books in pdf format. The downloads are fully searchable by name, word or phrase and all images can be expanded to full page which allows an examination of detail not available in printed form.
To purchase an e-book, simply buy and checkout in the normal way. Follow the unique link which will be given in your on screen receipt, or within three days from the link contained in your confirmation email. Your e-book will take around two minutes to download with a broadband connection. If you are using a PC, 'Save as' to keep a copy on your hard disk. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader v5 or higher. This is standard with most modern PCs, but if you don't already have it, it can be downloaded for free.
e-books may be downloaded to tablets on which they can be read easily and images are particularly flexible. Many of our customers store their purchases in iBooks for which they are optimised. Instructions to download to iBooks on the iPad are below.
A list of titles currently available can be found here.
We have a rolling schedule of e-book releases - if you would like a Halsgrove title and its not currently listed, let us know and we will try to include it as soon as possible. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
YOUR FREE E-BOOK
Click to download a FREE demonstration pdf e-book. The e-book Dartmoor Century, contains fascinating before-and-after photographs of Dartmoor set side-by-side, but taken 100 years apart. By including pictures taken at the same location over a hundred years after the original photograph, it is possible to see how much, or how little, the moorland landscape, its archaeological sites and buildings have changed. This title has been chosen as a demonstration e-book as it illustrates the quality of images available in this format and how effectively they can be expanded and compared. This book also helps to promote awareness of The Dartmoor Trust's Dartmoor Archive project.
Downloading a pdf e-book.
Steps 1-3 are common to all computers. Steps 4-7 show how to add your e-book to iBooks on the iPad.
1. Select the pdf ebook required from the catalogue or by using the search facility. Add to Cart in the normal way.
2. You may also purchase printed books at the same time. When your order is complete, select checkout and follow the instructions to enter payment details and complete your purchase.
3. When your purchase is complete, you will be taken to an online receipt. This gives the opportunity to download your e-book immediately. Just click or tap 'Download Title'. (Alternatively you may follow the link in your confirmation email within three days of purchase).
4. Your download will start and on the iPad progress is shown by the moving blue indicator in the address bar. Most downloads take less than two minutes with a reasonable broadband connection.
5. Your e-book will appear on the screen when the download has finished.
6. Tap on the screen to bring up the control bar. Tap the 'Open in iBooks' button.
7. Your e-book will appear and will be stored on the pdf shelf of iBooks. Tap to open. All images may be expanded to full screen size. Features such as search and web look-up are available from the iBooks menus.
iPad® and iBooks® are registered trademarks of Apple, Inc